2022 Shale & Public Health Conference
The Straight Scoop on Shale – A project of the League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania Citizen Education Fund
The 10th annual Shale & Public Health Conference will take place as an online conference over two days
Tuesday, November 15 & Wednesday, November 16, 2022 from noon to 4pm EST
New research presented by national experts on shale and public health impacts, and practical applications.
The conference is FREE to attend, but you need to register.
Day 1 – Tuesday, November 15, 2022
Sally Wenzel, MD, Pitt Graduate School of Public Health Opening Remarks
Session 1 Ten years of fracking and research – What have we learned?
- Anthony Ingraffea, Dwight C. Baum, Professor of Engineering Emeritus, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Cornell University
- David J.X. Gonzalez, PhD, Epidemiologist, Environmental Scientist, and President’s Post-Doctoral Fellow at UC Berkeley
- Nicole Deziel, PhD, MHS, Associate Professor, Yale School of Public Health
Session 2 New Evidence
- Helena Archer, MPH, UC Berkeley, COVID and exposure to oil and gas
- Cassandra Clark, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow, Yale University, Infant exposure and leukemia
- Mary D. Willis, PhD, MPH, Boston University School of Public Health, Gestational hypertension
- Longchiang Li, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Harvard University, Exposure to unconventional oil and gas and All-Cause Mortality in Medicare Beneficiaries
- Joan Casey, PhD, Assistant Professor, Columbia University, Environmental Justice in Pennsylvania, drilling and Wastewater Disposal
Day 2 Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Meghan Pierce, Executive Director LWVPA Opening Remarks
Session 3 Research and Policy discussion moderated by Jacquelyn Omotalade, Esq., Policy Manager, Environmental Health Project
- PA Rep. Rick Krajewski
- CA Chief of Staff Cynthia Alvarez (for California State Senator Lena Gonzalez)
- Ned Ketyer, MD, FAAP, President of Physicians for Social Responsibility PA
Session 4 Community Voices: Research to Action
- Robin Lesko, Senior Organizer, Food & Water Watch, Allegheny County Parks action
- Kearni Warren, Energy Justice Network
- Wesley Silva, Former Marianna Borough Council President Washington County PA
- Cultivando – Detlev Helmig, PhD, Principal Boulder Atmosphere Innovation Research, LLC (Scientist)
- Laura Martinez, Promotora (Environmental Justice)
- Olga Gonzalez (Executive Director) Cultivating community leadership to advance health equity through collaboration, advocacy, and policy change.
Link: Shale & Public Health – Conference Archive
Video: What would Rachel Carson say?